Dev (old posts, page 6)

How to use w.bloggar with pyblosxom

, | Tweet this

I just finished making a bunch of code changes. So if you go this route, you may encounter problems. Having said that, feel free to email me or the pyblosxom-users mailing list with questions. It should be noted I'm posting this entry with w.bloggar right now.

  1. Make sure you have the latest CVS codebase
  2. Add the xmlrpc and xmlrpc_blogger plugins
  3. Read the top of and set up the right parameters

The w.bloggar account settings should be as follows:

In the Content Management System section:

  • Blog Tool: "Custom"

In the API Server tab:

  • Host: the name of your server
  • Page: the url of your blog with /RPC at the end (mine is /~willkg/blog/RPC)

In the Custom tab:

  • Posts: "Blogger API"
  • Categories: "Not supported"
  • Templates: "Not Supported"
  • Title Tags: (make both fields blank)
  • Category Tags: (make both fields blank)

When you go to write a new entry, leave the title field blank and do your entire post in the data section with the first line being the title (just like blosxom entries).

One thing you should note is that pyblosxom will take the first line and use that to generate the file name of the entry. So if the title of the entry is "How to use w.bloggar with pyblosxom", the file name ends up being "How_to_use_w_bloggar_with_pyblosxom.txt" which is a little annoying but whatever.

That seems to work for me. Poke me if you have questions and I can update this entry with the adjustments.

Test from w.bloggar

, | Tweet this

This is a test post from w.bloggar testing out my new xmlrpc and xmlrpc_blogger plugins.

On the goodness of version control

, | Tweet this
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:14:01 -0600
From: brian
To: will
Subject: Version control

Is a magical, wonderful thing. Don't let 'em tell you any different.

testing... testing 1 2 3

, | Tweet this

Theoretically, I just got w.bloggar working with my blog. There were some minor fixes I had to do to the xmlrpc lib we have in PyBlosxom. I'll be checking these changes in.

Beyond that, I wanted to see what the tool actually did. Where does it put the file? What does the file look like? What's the name of the file? So on so forth.... Enquiring (or is it Inquiring) minds want to know!

pyblosxom debug plugin: v.1.0

, | Tweet this

I whipped up a plugin that changes the renderer to the debug renderer if there's a "debug=yes" in the querystring. It's not wildly exciting, but it works nicely and I can debug things without necessarily taking my entire blog down.

Get it at my plugin index.

Stringbean: Resurrection

, | Tweet this

I'm on this crazy coding kick right now. For some reason I decided to go dig up Stringbean and see how it was doing. It's doing fine! Well, except for the fact it wouldn't start up. So I did some fixing and now it's fine and starts up and everything seems hunky dory. I have no clue what I was working on last.

Anyhow, for anyone interested, here's a tarball of a working, but very lacking, version of Stringbean. I release it under the GPL. I might at some point work on it some more, but if not, there it is.

Added locking to Pyblosxom

, | Tweet this

I just added locking to Pyblosxom to allow separate Pyblosxom requests to synchronize on centralized data. In my case, the data is a file of how many views each of my blog entries has gotten. It seems to be pretty functional. It's something I had coded in my viewcounts plugin, but I've moved the code (and added to it) into the tools module so we can all use the same base.

An example of usage is this:

   from Pyblosxom import tools

   LOCKNAME = "viewcounts.dat"

      lockret = tools.get_lock(request, LOCKNAME)
      if lockret:
         # yay -- we have the lcok
         # foo -- we don't have the lock

      if tools.has_lock(request, LOCKNAME)
         # yay -- we have the lock
         # foo -- we don't have the lock


   tools.return_lock(request, LOCKNAME)

The code is in CVS. It'll go into the next version. Also, I added a unittest module to the code base.

registry v.1.2 released

, | Tweet this

I've been in some kind of neat motivational kick the last few days to update my plugins. This time, I've overhauled the registry plugin that Wari uses for the Pyblosxom web-site.


  • added ability to submit new entries
  • added ability to edit existing entries
  • fixed sorting so that you can sort by any input name
  • added the ability to do option inputs
  • moved declaration of what items were involved to the file (along with other things)
  • added documentation to the top
  • refactoring of item specification stuff

Anyhow, if you were one of the one or two people that were using it, this is definitely worth updating to. If you need help reconfiguring it or if you have problems, let me know.

It can be downloaded at my pyblosxom page.

(snuck it in just before the end of the year--yay!)